A History of the Firm
Ab Kramer was the youngest child of a family who immigrated from Austria-Hungary around the year 1900. He chose to study law, and in the last year of his studies he made ends meet by teaching law to new students. When he qualified as a solicitor he was awarded prizes as the top student in that year for the entire country. He commenced practice as a sole practitioner under the name A Kramer & Co. in 1934 and after a few months in temporary offices, he established the practice at 49 Queen Victoria Street, EC4, where it remained until 1954. Mr Kramer joined the R.A.F. as a volunteer in 1940 serving overseas for 4 years, during which time the practice was being run by a managing clerk under rules issued by the Law Society to deal with such wartime exigencies.
In 1954 the practice relocated to 40 Portland Place, W1, and David Isaacs came to work there as an articled clerk at about the same time. Eventually David became a Partner in the practice and meanwhile, Ab Kramer’s son Jonathan qualified and later also became a Partner. Other Partners came and went over the years, but David became Senior Partner whilst Ab became a consultant.
In 1992 the practice moved to 32a Weymouth Street, W1 and in 1996 moved again to 29 Weymouth Street, merging with a long-established practice called Blount Petre. The new name was Blount Petre Kramer. We then moved to Glade House, sharing the building with Segens and then merging with Segens under the name Segens Blount Petre, with David Isaacs and Michael Segens joint Senior Partners. Shortly after that, the name became SBP Law.